What is BPO and How can it Help with Acne?
Is acne keeping you up at night? Are you horrified noticing pimples on your forehead just days before your best friend’s wedding? Benzoyl peroxide can certainly help in this situation and all the ones you're worried about!
What is benzoyl peroxide or BPO?Benzoyl peroxide is non-prescription drug that works to destroy bacteria in your pores, that cause acne. BPO works primarily as an exfoliating agent by increasing the turnover of the skin and removes the mixture of sebum and dead skin cells from the pores. It comes in 2.5%, 5%, and 10% concentrations that are to be used by those suffering from moderate to severe acne. It is a potent ingredient that is effective against all kinds of acne lesions such as blackheads, whiteheads, and big red pimples. It is bactericidal, meaning it kills bacteria, rather than simply slowing down their growth. It also works very quickly, improving acne as early as five days after starting treatment.
How does BPO reduce acne?
- It delivers oxygen into the pores where acne-causing bacteria thrive. The bacteria can’t live in an oxygen-rich environment so BPO essentially kills it at the source.
- After benzoyl peroxide penetrates the pores and fights the bacteria, it then helps unclog them. It continues to keep them unclogged and healthy after your acne has cleared up.
- Finally, BPO works as an anti-inflammatory agent, reducing the redness and soreness that occurs due to pimples.
Exercise caution!While BPO does a great job when it comes to tackling acne, it can have these unwanted effects:
- Excessive usage can lead to dryness, so those with dry skin have to use it sparingly.
- You might experience a bit of itching after use.
- The skin could feel irritated and slightly red.
These are especially common at the start of treatment and some people may misinterpret these reactions as an allergy to BPO. However, serious allergic reactions to benzoyl peroxide are rare. While it isn’t exactly a side effect, benzoyl peroxide can bleach towels and clothing, so it is important to be cautious during and after application of a BPO acne treatment.
Why use Clear Skin 10%?
Everyone wants bright and clear skin free from pimples. But several skincare products are formulated using benzoyl peroxide particles that are larger than the average human pore (50 microns). It can lead to the unpleasant effects discussed above, including instability and decreased effectiveness.
But Clear Skin 10% is created with a unique formula containing milled BPO particles that are less than 10 microns – we don’t use excess of what is required for the skin. The small size of the particles lets the product seep within the pores easily, which helps to eliminate acne-causing bacteria.
Over the years benzoyl peroxide has become a gold standard for treating acne as it kills harmful bacteria, unclogs blocked pores and keeps them clear, and reduces inflammation. Include Clear Skin 10% in your beauty routine ASAP!